Monday, March 28, 2016

Differences between the Finnish, and other European saunas.

The first thing that surprised me, was the way Finnish people use the sauna. In my homeland there is a sand glass inside a sauna to measure the time we spend in there, and we usually stay only 15 minutes at once. But not the Finnish people. They go inside in the morning and only come out at after midnight. Another thing that I have noticed is that the saunas are heated to a much higher temperature. And in my country we can’t adjust the temperature inside. In these saunas they throw water on the sauna stones, and as the water becomes steam, the air heatens up. Finnish people also have this habit, which was shocking for me when I first heard about it, and it goes like this: during winter, they throw themselves in the snow or have a quick dip in a frozen lake in the middle of their sauna visit, wearing only socks (so the toes will not freeze) and a hat.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment